Whether you have forgotten the password of your Yahoo account or whether it has been hacked, you can easily recover your Yahoo account by resetting the password for it. However, in order to be able to reset the password for your account, you must have access to one of the account recovery options (email address or phone number) associated with your account. If you have any of the recovery options, you can regain the access to your Yahoo account by following the steps provided herein below.
Steps to Recover or Reset Forgotten/Hacked Yahoo Mail Password
- Go to the Yahoo Sign-in page, enter your email address and click on the “Next” button.
- Now on the next page, you will be prompted to enter a password for your account, but as you don’t remember the password (or your password is not working), click on the option “I forgot my password” located just below the “Sign in” button.
- On the next screen, you will be shown one of the account recovery options with missing alphabets or digits. If you recognize the given option and have access to it, click on the “Yes, text/send me an Account Key” button.
NOTE: Occasionally, you may also be asked to enter the missing digits or alphabets of your phone number or email address.
- In case you don’t remember the given account recovery option, click on the “I don’t have access to this phone/email address”. This will direct you another account recovery option available (if any).
NOTE: You must pass this step in order to reset the password for your account and get access to it. If you don’t have access to the given recovery options, you can try later when you have access to one of the options.
- Once you receive the Account Key, you will need to enter it on the subsequent screen and click on the “Verify” button.
- As you will click on the “Verify” button, you will be prompted with a message to Use Yahoo Account Key feature instead of a password to access your account. You can either click on the “Let’s do it” or you can click on the option “I’ll do it later”.
- Clicking on “I’ll do it later” will take you to your Yahoo account. Now to create a new password for your account, go to your Profile name > Account info > Account security.
- Under Account security tab, click on the Change password option. Next, click on the “I would rather change, my password”.
NOTE: You will be prompted again with an option to Use Yahoo Account Key instead of creating a password. If you wish to use “Account Key” for your account, simply click on the “Continue” button and follow on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- On the next page, enter your new password in the prompted fields and click on the “Continue” button.
- The password for your Yahoo account will be changed right away.
So, this is how you can easily regain the access to your Yahoo account.